Special Credit Options

Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate

The Advanced Placement (AP) Program allows high school students to pursue college-level study before entering college. National examinations are administered each May through the College Board. Departments award credit according to each score on the five point scale of the AP Program. Have your scores sent to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign directly from the College Board. Hours of AP credit are recorded on students' official University transcripts (not actual grades or scores). Recent profiles of incoming freshmen show nearly 48% enter UIUC with credit received through the AP Program.

The International Baccalaureate (IB) Program offers a curriculum covering either the last two years of secondary education or the twelfth and thirteenth grades in a thirteen-grade system. Successful completion of the program is based on the completion of course work and passage of internationally prepared examinations. The specific credit and placement policies for IB examinations recognized by this campus are given below. This information is subject to change upon annual review by each department concerned.

College Level Examination Program

Effective Fall 2003, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is not granting proficiency credit to incoming undergraduate students based on scores from either the paper-and-pencil or the computer-based CLEP examinations.

Concurrent Enrollment—Parkland College

Students seeking enrollment at Parkland College during an academic term in which they are also enrolled at UIUC, should complete a concurrent enrollment form. Students will need their academic advisor's signature in order to enroll in Parkland courses. If enrolling concurrently for either the Fall or Spring term, students must be enrolled full time (minimum of full time) at their primary institution—UIUC. Once the concurrent enrollment form has been signed, students may enroll in courses at Parkland during their open registration period for the upcoming term. Concurrent enrollment forms are available from the departmental advising offices, the AHS Dean’s Office, or may be downloaded from the AHS website.

Illinois Courses Online/Self-Paced Courses

Illinois Courses Online (ICON) provides instruction on an individual basis. You learn at your own pace using self-instructional course materials, which may include printed or online materials, a variety of audiovisual aids, and computer resources. You contact your instructors, submit assignments, and receive feedback on graded assignments by mail and, for online sections, electronically. Many courses in a wide range of subject areas are available for undergraduate credit.

Enrollment is open to students in degree programs, on-campus UIUC students, off-campus University of Illinois students, high school students, students enrolled at other colleges and universities, and individuals studying on their own. However, note that enrollment in an ICON course does not constitute admission to the University of Illinois. A student may use correspondence courses to fulfill some of his or her degree requirements in the College of Applied Health Sciences. All correspondence coursework is subject to the following:

  • Students enrolled for courses in residence must obtain approval of the AHS Academic Deans to concurrently enroll in correspondence courses.
  • Students are limited to a maximum of three correspondence course enrollments at any given time. Students on drop status, with the approval of the Academic Deans, may be allowed to enroll in correspondence courses and/or extramural courses.
  • Students not currently enrolled at UIUC, with the approval of the Academic Deans, may be allowed to enroll in correspondence courses and/or extramural courses.

Intercampus Registration


Proficiency Examinations

Departmental proficiency examinations are administered in individual sessions or scheduled group sessions during the semester. Departmental offices can provide information regarding test dates, places of administration, types of examination, and references that might be used when preparing for examinations. Course descriptions and prerequisites are listed in the Courses Catalog. Proficiency examinations are generally given without cost to students, but fees may be charged to defray the cost of proficiency examinations prepared by agencies outside the University. All regulations governing proficiency examinations will be applied in the context that the University must reasonably accommodate a student’s religious beliefs, observances, and practices in regard to scheduling of proficiency examinations if the student informs the person responsible for the scheduling of such examinations of the conflict within one week after being informed of the examination schedule. Any student may appeal an adverse decision. An enrolled undergraduate student who passes a proficiency examination is given credit toward graduation for the amount regularly allowed in the course (1) if it does not duplicate credit counted for admission to the University or credit earned through some other testing program and (2) if it is acceptable in the student’s curriculum. No official record is made of failures in these examinations, but some departments may keep records to prohibit students from retaking the examinations. General campus policy information regarding proficiency examinations can be found in the Code of Policies and Regulations Applying to All Students. Transfer students should consult the Admission for Transfer Applicants section for the policy on acceptance of proficiency credit for admission purposes.

The College of Applied Health Sciences Policy on Second/Dual Degrees

Current AHS students wishing to pursue a degree in another program should first meet with their advisor and pick up an intent to pursue a dual degree form. The student will work with their advisor to ensure they have mapped out the plan thoroughly. Student should note that the college where they intend to pursue the other major may require a more detailed petition process. Students who are not AHS students who do not come with an intent form from their college should us the AHS intent form as well. Attached to these forms should be a detailed outline of the student's academic plan to complete both degrees. Approval of dual degree status is dependent on the feasibility of the student to successfully complete both programs in ten (10) semesters. Completed forms and program plans should go to the Dean's Office for final signature.

Remedial Education

Students requiring remedial education should be advised that courses below the one hundred level will not count toward hours needed for graduation. However, the grades for these courses will be calculated in with the total GPA. Students who are unsure of whether or not a course will count toward graduation should speak with their Academic Advisor.

Graduating Seniors and Summer Courses

If you have completed all degree requirements and are set to graduate in May, you will be dropped from any summer coursework that you have registered for. The college does not allow students who have graduated to take summer courses as degree seeking students. If you are interested in taking summer courses, you must contact the admissions office to take courses as a non-degree undergraduate or the Continuing Education Department to take courses as a non-degree graduate student.

Students who are transferring coursework for completion of degree requirements

If you are a graduating senior, but are taking courses off-campus, please be advised that you will need to send a copy of your official transcripts to the registrar’s office after completion of the coursework. If you are graduating in a subsequent semester, you will need to be sure to add your name to the pending degree list after you’ve completed the coursework as this is the only way that the Academic Records Officer knows that you need your degree to be certified.