Kurzweil 3000 Firefly for Personal Use
Kurzweil 3000 is an assistive technology, text to speech, learning tool that supports the concept of Universal Design for Learning with a suite of powerful reading, writing, test-taking, and study skill tools that makes curricula accessible to all students. It is particularly appropriate for students with learning disabilities such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, those who require reading intervention, students struggling with reading comprehension and English Language Learners (ELL). Additional information on Kurzweil 3000 Firefly can be located on their website.
Obtain Username and Password
Contact Tina Rolfe, firstname.lastname@example.org, (217) 333-4604 to obtain a user name a password.
You can open up documents from your local drive, Google Drive and Bookshare online. From the Help tab on this page you can also access several tutorials about using Kurzweil. You can also download Kurzweil onto your local computer and with your login access additional features.
Choose the "web license" version from the download options (It is recommended to select the top or bottom voice packs.)
Use Kurzweil Firefly to read the web
- Open up Google Chrome
- Go to the Chrome web store
- Search (in the upper left corner) for "Kurzweil"
- Select "Read The Web"
- Once installed, go to any website. A pop will appear on the upper right side of your screen asking for your Kurzweil login. Once logged in, you will see a set of controls and will be able to use Kurzweil to read the web.
From the Kurzweil Software
- Log into Kurzweil (if you have not downloaded it to your local computer, see above links)
- Select READ from the menu that runs across the top (the one at the very top that includes File, Edit, Scan, etc.)
- Select READ THE WEB from the dropdown menu
- A new browser window will open and a Kurzweil toolbar will appear at the top of the browser window.
- You must open the browser from inside of Kurzweil in order for it to read.
Note: The first time you use this feature, you may be instructed to install the KESI add-on. Follow the on-screen directions or contact Tina Rolfe in TAC for assistance.