Declaring a Minor
A minor is a coherent program of study requiring some depth in the subject, but not as extensive of a program as the major. Most minors will be comprehensive study in the discipline, rather than focusing on a narrow subfield of study.
Undergraduate students enrolled in a degree program at Illinois are not required to complete a minor for degree certification. However, many find this a desirable opportunity to study at some depth in a subject matter of additional interest to their major field of study.
Full instructions and procedures for declaring a minor can be found on the Provost’s website.
AHS students (students with declared majors in AHS) should follow these general guidelines for declaring a minor:
Fill out the STATEMENT OF INTENT TO PURSUE A CAMPUS-APPROVED MINOR FORM. For most colleges, this form is done completely online. Please check with the sponsoring minor department for the procedures used in their college. Most colleges (including AHS) use the form found here.
To cancel your minor:
- Fill out the MODIFICATION OF MINOR form. This form is a fillable PDF, making it easier to complete and email to others. Fill out STEP I and sign/date the form at the bottom under NOTICE OF CANCELLATION. (STEPS 2-4 do not need to be completed for a cancellation.)
- Email your form to email@example.com. This completes the steps needed to officially cancel your minor.
To modify your minor (changes or course substitutions for minor):
- Fill out STEP I of the MODIFICATION OF MINOR form. This form is a fillable PDF, making it easier to complete and email to others.
- Email your form to the appropriate department to obtain the authorized signature and complete STEP 2.
- Email your form to the appropriate college offering the minor to obtain the authorized signature and complete STEP 3. (The departmental contact should be able to tell you where to send this.)
- After completing STEP 3, email your form to firstname.lastname@example.org. This completes STEP 4 and officially modifies your minor.