front entrance of Huff Hall

Undergraduate Affairs

Incomplete Grades

In cases where a serious extenuating circumstance makes it impossible for a student to complete a final exam or final assignment for a course, an incomplete grade may be requested.  An “I” grade is authorized only for end-of-semester extensions for final exams, final papers, or end-of-semester assignments.  It is not intended as an extension to address a significant part of a semester’s coursework. An incomplete grade will require the support of the course instructor. The College of Applied Health Sciences cannot compel an instructor to permit an incomplete grade. If you believe that you qualify for an incomplete grade, please contact your academic advisor in the College of Applied Health Sciences to discuss the process.

A grade of 'I' is temporary, and the incomplete work must be made up by the 8th week of the immediate subsequent semester (fall or spring).  It is your responsibility to work within the time frame for completion of course requirements approved by the course instructor. If the work is not completed in the time allowed, the 'I' grade will be replaced by a grade of 'F'.  In exceptional cases, students may not be able to complete the missing work in the specified time frame due to legitimate reasons (for example, active military service or a chronic health condition). In such an instance, you may be granted a limited extension. If you believe an extension is appropriate, please contact Assistant Dean Dustin Tarter ( to discuss the situation.