5-Year BS/MS Option
The Department of Recreation, Sport and Tourism (RST) offers an integrated and accelerated program for outstanding students that combines a bachelor’s and master’s degree, referred to as the 5-year BS/MS option. This option can be completed in less time than is required for the two degrees separately. The 5-year BS/MS option is designed to provide students with the academic and professional skills needed to succeed in the recreation, sport and tourism industry.
RST majors with a GPA of 3.5 are eligible to apply at the beginning of their junior year. Accepted students will then work on both degrees simultaneously and will receive both degrees at the same time, once all requirements for each have been completed. Although their degrees will not officially be awarded, students may participate in the bachelor’s graduation ceremonies once they have completed the 120 credit-hour requirement for that degree.
For more information, contact Dr. Toni Liechty.
RST BS-MS Application Information
BS-MS applications are accepted until October 6
A Complete BS-MS Application Includes:
- Online Graduate College Application
- Personal Statement
- Academic Statement of Purpose
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Pre-requisite requirement: 3.5 GPA
BS-MS Application Instructions
Online Application: Once you log in, the BS-MS application is located under the Recreation, Sport and Tourism (RST) section.
Proposed Program Information Section:
- Select "Recreation Sport and Tourism" as the proposed program.
- Select "Recreation Sport and Tourism – BS/MS" as the degree.
- Select the semester that you start your BS/MS - this will be the term that you start your BS/MS portion.
Academic History Section:
- Fill out the requested information on all of the universities you have attended or are currently attending.
- Upload unofficial transcripts (your own copies) from all colleges you have attended, including community colleges.
Test Scores Section:
Test scores (ex: GRE) are not required.
In this section, please upload a current version of your resume or CV.
Academic Statement of Purpose Section:
You will be asked to clearly answer (within 1000 words) each of these four questions:
- What is your desired area of study and/or expected research program?
- Why are you pursuing a graduate degree?
- How has your academic background, preparation, training and/or professional experiences prepared you to perform well in the graduate program?
- Why is the University of Illinois and the Department of Recreation Sport and Tourism appropriate for you?
You will also be asked to discuss how the interests of specific departmental faculty overlap with your own interests.
Personal Statement Section:
You will be asked to respond to the following:
- The University of Illinois strives to cultivate graduates and future alumni to be responsible citizens and leaders who value knowledge, creativity, global awareness, and social and cultural understanding. We invite applicants to describe their potential contribution to the institution and alignment with our strategic priorities to create “an institution committed to excellence in discovery, teaching, and research, and a climate where all can achieve their highest aspirations in a safe and welcoming environment.”
Please use the Personal Statement to describe (within 500 words) how your personal background and experiences influenced your decision to pursue a graduate degree. Provide insight on your potential to contribute to a community of inclusion, belonging, and respect in which scholars with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, abilities, and experiences can learn and collaborate productively and positively together.
- Three letters of recommendation are required. At least two of the letters should be from faculty, either within or outside RST.
- You do not have to wait for your letters to be complete to submit your application. The letters will automatically update when they are sent to the online system. It is recommended to submit your application well before the deadline, even if your letters of recommendation have not been submitted yet.
After you submit your online application, you will be prompted to pay a non-refundable application fee ($70 for domestic applicants, $90 for international applicants). Your application will not be reviewed until this fee has been paid. If you do not pay your application fee within 3 weeks of submitting your application, your application will be not be submitted. If you believe you may qualify for a need-based application fee waiver, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Toni Liechty
- Department of Recreation, Sport and Tourism
- 1206 S. Fourth Street
- Champaign, IL 61820
- Phone: (217) 300-0105