Master of Arts in Speech & Hearing Science: Non-Clinical
The Master of Arts degree without clinical experience is awarded to candidates who do not wish to pursue careers as speech-language pathologists or certification from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. The non-clinical MA program may prepare the student for employment in industry or for a doctoral program.
These candidates have had an appropriate undergraduate program and satisfactorily complete 40 graduate credit hours approved by the student’s advisor. Twenty of the hours must be at the 500-level in SHS. Completion of a Master’s Thesis is strongly recommended but not required and may be counted for a maximum of 8 hours of credit.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Scores from a GRE test taken within 5 years of the date of application. Use code 1836 to send your results to Illinois.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement (Approx 500 words)
- International students will need to submit scores for Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Visit the Graduate College website for minimum score requirements.
For more information about degree requirements contact the program director or refer to the university catalog.
SHS 592 Pro-Sem in Speech & Hearing Science
SHS 599 Thesis Research (Optional)
Elective hours within the unit
Total Hours: 40