Master of Science in Community Health
Areas of Research
|Areas of Research||Examples of study topics|
|Health Promotion and Behavioral Intervention||Health behavior, physical activity, nutrition, physical and mental health, perinatal woman health, healthy aging|
|Health Disparity||Global health, immigrant health, minority health, rural communities|
|Health Technology from Design to Implementation||Human factors, technology use in diverse populations and in the context of daily life, implications of technology use for health across the life span|
|Rehabilitation, Disability and Chronic Illness||Wellness, quality of life, psychosocial adjustment, transition, and social participation|
|Applied Health Data Analytics||Analysis of electronic health records (EHR), operational data, spatially and temporally organized data, dyadic data, etc.|
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- A minimum grade-point average of 3.0 (A=4.0) for the last 60 hours of undergraduate work and any graduate work completed
Although the GRE scores are not required, the scores may provide helpful supporting information in some cases. Applicants who have taken the GRE and feel their scores would benefit their application are encouraged to submit the scores. If you would like to submit scores, we recommend you scan your official score report as a PDF file and attach it to your application. You do not need to submit official scores through ETS, but if you decide to, please use our University code of 1836.
Your application must demonstrate sufficient academic/quantitative preparedness to be considered for admission to the program. Your prior coursework, volunteer and/or work experiences, and recommendations are just a few of the items that will be reviewed to gauge your preparedness for graduate studies.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Official Transcripts
- International students must also submit Test of English as a Foreign Language scores, with a minimum for full status admission: 103 (TOEFL - IBT) or 7.5 (IELTS). Scores cannot be more than 2 years old. Please see more information about the DUPLINGO test here.
- Students for whom English is not their native language and who wish to be considered for a teaching assistantship must achieve a score on the speaking sub-section of 24 (TOEFL - IBT) or 8 (IELTS). See this page for more details.
Students may apply to either the M.S. or the Ph.D. program. Applications for Fall admission are due on January 15. Applications for Spring semester are due on October 1.
For more information about the Master of Community Health curriculum please contact Julie Jenkins or Dr. Steven Petruzzello or refer to the Academic Catalog website.
CHLH 429 Research Techniques
CHLH 540 Health Behavior: Theory
Choose from one of the following:
• CHLH 421 Health Data analysis
• CHLH 576 Analytical Epidemiology
• CHLH 578 Applied Epidemiology
• CHLH 582 Advanced Biostatistics
Electives (chosen in consultation with student's advisor)
• CHLH 591 Seminar (min/max applied toward degree)
• CHLH 599 Thesis Research (min/max applied toward degree)
Total Hours: 32
Minimum Hours Required Within the Unit: 20
Minimum 500-level Hours Required Overall: 12 (8 within the unit)
Total required hours: 32
Minimum GPA: 3.0
English Proficiency Test: TOEFL
|English Proficiency Test||Minimum for Limited Status Admission with English as a Second Language Placement Test Required*||Minimum for Full Status Admission**|
|TOEFL iBT||79-102||greater than 102|
|TOEFL CBT||213-253||greater than 253|
|TOEFL PBT||550-610||greater than 610|
|IELTS (academic exam)||6.5-7.0||greater than 7.0|
If students want to be considered for a teaching assistantship, they must have at least 24 on the speaking part of the TOEFL.
If you are an international student, information about a VISA can be found here.
Request more information
Phone: (217) 333-1083
Dr. Steven J. Petruzzello
Associate Head & Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Kinesiology and Community Health
Graduate Program Secretary
906 S. Goodwin Ave
112 Freer Hall
Urbana, IL. 61801