BS-MPH for KIN FAQs
Why should Kinesiology undergraduates consider earning both BS and MPH degrees?
A BS degree in Kinesiology provides an excellent background for a career in public health. Given its emphasis on the health benefits of physical activity, exercise science is a public health science. The MPH degree is a professional degree and the most widely recognized credential for a career in public health. The combination of these two degrees prepares students for many career paths in public health, particularly careers involving health promotion and chronic disease prevention. Students can get more information about career options at information sessions held each term by the MPH program.
When Kinesiology students enter the BS-MPH program, what approved courses do they take prior to the end of their 4th (senior) year that count for both BS and MPH degrees?
- CHLH 410 Public Health Practice (4 credit hours, offered fall and spring terms). It is preferable to enroll in the MPH section (section B) of this course offered in fall of senior year. Students will be instructed how to enroll in the MPH section upon admission to the BS-MPH.
- CHLH 469 Environmental Health (3-4 credit hours, offered spring term only). BS-MPH students who take CHLH 469 in their senior year will enroll in the 4 credit hour MPH section in spring term.
- Choose one 400-level course that counts toward the BS degree and toward the MPH degree (listed below). (View complete list here).
Are there any pre-requisite courses I need to take before applying for the BS-MPH program?
There are no specific pre-requisite courses for Kinesiology majors. Consider taking CHLH 244 Health Statistics, CHLH 274 Introduction to Epidemiology, MATH 115 Preparation for Calculus, MATH 161 Statistics, MATH 220 Calculus, or similar courses. A grade of B or higher in such courses will strengthen the application for BS-MPH.
I am interested in the BS-MPH. What are the next steps?
- Attend an MPH open house on the BS-MPH program (dates and times announced each term)
- Review the MPH website and the general BS-MPH FAQs on the website that provides a detailed information about the BS-MPH program. In particular, understand the characteristics of strong applicants, how to apply for the program, the MPH degree requirements, and the course schedule during the 5th year.
- Meet with your undergraduate advisor to ensure you have room in your schedule to take the BS and MPH courses in by the end of senior year.